Monday 14 November 2011

Bench Press Cheat



Without a doubt, the most coveted and respected lift in the iron game is the barbell bench press. Ironically, no other lift is the source of so much frustration either. Sticking points and plateaus seem to trouble nearly everyone at one time or another. It's not uncommon for someone to spend months or even years benching the same amount of weight with no improvement at all - but it doesn't have to be that way.

With a few small changes in your technique, a good dose of hard work and some patience, a 300, 400, or even 500-pound bench press is within your reach. If you'd like say goodbye to sticking points and finally break through the plateau's that have plagued you for so long, then put these 15 powerful bench-boosting principles to work and you'll smash through previous limitations and send your bench press soaring into new territory faster than you ever believed possible.

The arch is one of the best ways to decrease the ROM on a bench. I'm constantly working to get my arch bigger and bigger. My goal is to make my bench look as much like a decline bench press as I can. The way I achieve this is by moving my feet farther and farther back under my body. My goal is to get my feet as close to my head as possible.

When benching the only parts of my body that I want touching the bench are my traps and butt. In my federation, my feet have to be in contact with the floor at all times but they do not have to be flat on the floor. Therefore I push my feet back as far as I can get them and balance myself way up on my toes. It's a very very uncomfortable position but pushing big weight is not about comfort. If it's comfortable, you aren't tight enough.

Prior to the lift, the lifter should be certain that the weight is balanced on the bar and that collars are securing the plates. Improper balance can result in an awkward and uncomfortable left attempt that may result in injury.

The lifter should position themselves so that the bar is located above the eyes. The back and buttocks should be firmly placed on the bench pad. The feet should be placed flat on the floor.

The grip should be centered on the bar. Most athletes will feel comfortable with the arms slightly wider than the shoulders. Longer armed athletes however, may prefer a wider grip while shorter armed athletes will find a slightly narrower grip more comfortable.

I've found that as you take your liftoff, roll the elbows in slightly will make the lift more comfortable. It will also make it easier to tuck the elbows on the way down. Speaking of liftoffs- when taking a liftoff, hold the bar at arm's length for a moment or so. The weight will compress the shoulder joint thus decreasing the distance the bar will have to travel.

So, there you have it. Just a few strategies to help you cheat your way to some heavier weights on the bar. With any luck, you may find yourself reading some idiot's comment on one of your videos accusing you of being a cheater too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...