Thursday 13 October 2011

Derek Atlas Workout Routine



Derek is a full-time fashion and muscle fitness model, and has been making the rounds doing some adult work. At the time of filming he had only done a couple solos, but no real guy-on-guy…on camera.

Q How do you train?

A I follow a modified routine that's a mix of bodybuilding and powerlifting. Most people would define it as powerbuilding: heavy weight, high volume. But I throw in pain-tolerance training, which is very specific to my sport. When you watch a strongman competition, you probably think, Man, that must really hurt. Well, it does. So I have to train my body and mind to perform when they don't want to.

Q What exactly is pain-tolerance training?

A I'm the only guy I know who does this or even has a definition for it. I'll do extremely high-rep training, which most strength athletes don't do. I'll grab an empty barbell and curl it for 110 reps. At 50 reps your body tells your brain to stop because there's so much lactic acid building up in the muscles. I do the same with chins and pull-ups. On the elliptical, I'll max out for two minutes until my face is purple. I take myself into the discomfort zone. When I slow down to recover, I'm still working at about 75% of my max. Every workout I incorporate something that's very painful.

Q How accurate is the strongman designation?

A People say, "Oh, you're not really the strongest men in the world," but in essence we are. No one can move the poundage that we move the distance that we move it and live to tell about it. A lot of people consider the powerlifter with the highest total weight to be the strongest man in the word, but it's undynamic, single-plane lifting. Some of the strongest powerlifters have stepped into pro-level strongman shows and are mediocre at best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...